If you have a home in the United States, or even in many areas of Europe, you likely have a garbage disposal unit in your kitchen. These go by many different names including garburators, waste disposal and kitchen disposal units, all of which are electrically powered. They are installed underneath the kitchen sink, in between the drain and the trap, with the sole purpose of shredding food product waste. This is then sent into the pipe at the size of less than two millimeters, easily passing into the plumbing without causing any blockage.
They were originally invented back in the 1920s and patented in the 1930s. However it was General Electric that introduced the garbage disposal unit before the inventor Hammes did with his InSinkErator, and is now simply known by most people as a garbage disposal.
Why Were Kitchen Disposal Created
These units were actually created in an attempt to minimize the amount of waste that would go into landfills. Since about 20% of all waste produced by families is food scraps, it made sense to simply chop it up and send it down the drain. Although there are other ways of eliminating organic materials such as burning it in what is called waste to energy facilities, this was able to accomplish the task much more easily. Food buried in landfills will decompose, creating methane gas, one of the primary contributors to global warming. Since this was a very easy product to create, using a high torque insulated motor with two swiveling impellers that could grind the food into smaller pieces, it became very commonplace for people to have these in their homes and apartments, of which there are many that are highly recommended.
Special functional garbage grinders for your reference:
- Buying Best Food Waste Disposal Grinder And Crusher
- Install Right Type Garbage Disposal Fit Your Sink Well
Disputes Involving The Garbage Disposal Unit
These units actually have a colorful history, specifically trying to find their way into homes across the country. There were many cities and states that prohibited food from going into the drains, even if it was chopped up. One city, in particular, New York City, believed that this would be a threat to their sewer systems. After a nearly two-year study by the New York City environmental protection agency, they rescinded their ban just like Raleigh North Carolina did years later. The main complaint is that you are actually putting something other than water into the drainpipe which can lead to problems when the water is being processed later on. Their thinking was that it can also cause unwanted blockages which could be very expensive to unclog, especially beneath city streets, but this has since been disproved and garbage disposal units are more abundant than ever before.
For home use a septic system, you can choose Best Garbage Disposals For Septic Systems on this page.
Top Kitchen Garbage Disposal Units Available Today
There are 3 garbage disposal units that are extremely popular and used by thousands of people nationwide. Number three is the General Electric Disposal units which are popular primarily because of their inexpensive cost. They can handle large amounts of food, using 2500 RPMs of grinding speed. It also has a 1/2 horsepower all magnetic motor which gets the job done for about $60.
Number two on the list is the KitchenAid garbage disposal units, spinning at 1725 RPMs. It has a 1/2 horsepower motor making it much more powerful than the GE unit and is priced at under $100.
At the top of the list is one of the originals, the InSinkErator Evolution Excel. This is not only the quietest of all of the garbage disposals that are available, but it also has a full 1 HP motor using what is called a Dura-Drive induction motor and puts the kitchen scraps through three grinding stages. It is the most efficient and effective of all of them, priced at just under $320. It is the perfect garbage disposal unit for people that want the best and is the one that is recommended by most people.
- The GFC520N is a genuine OEM GE Continuous Feed Garbage Disposal which is manufactured to exact specifications with high quality materials; ensuring a long lasting perfect fit into the appliance it was manufactured for.
- GE GFC520N Continuous Feed Garbage Disposal, 1/2 Horsepower, Good for Grinding: Beans, Potatoes, Peels, & Cooked Meat, Easy Install Kit Included, Non-Corded, Recommended for 2-4 Person Homes Black.
- The GFC520N is a Factory Certified Part that replaces part numbers: FC100, GFC100, GFC110, GFC200, GFC210, GFC300, GFC300DS, GFC300R, GFC300RDS, GFC300V, GFC300VDS, GFC300Y, GFC300YDS, GFC520F, GFC520FDS, GFC520MDS, GFC520T, GFC520V, GGFC100, GHMA300 , HMA300, MA300, MA310, PMGFC300V.
- It is recommended to either refer to your appliance service manual, contact your appliance manufacturer, or contact a service professional to validate the needed part number for your appliance prior to purchasing.
- Continuous feed allows for quick cleanup after meals
- Motor rotates at 1725 rpm for effective grinding
- Connected to an electrical switch for ease and safety
- 1/2 horsepower motor. Height : 11 3/8 Width : 6 5/8
- QUIET BUT POWERFUL: This innovative food waste disposal is the quietest disposal on the market, featuring advanced noise reducing, insulated SoundSeal Technology, and our exclusive, long lasting 1 hp Dura-Drive Induction Motor.
- DURABLE COMPONENTS FOR THE TOUGHEST FOOD SCRAPS: This garbage disposal features alloy stainless steel components with our LeakGuard Liner for the highest durability and 3-Stage Multigrind Technology with jam assist to handle the toughest food scraps.
- AMERICA'S #1 DISPOSER BRAND: There are more American-built InSinkErator garbage disposals in US homes than all other brands combined. A full line of models means there's one right for every need and budget.
- FASTER, CLEANER, SMARTER: From meal prep to cleanup, InSinkErator helps make it fast & easy to keep your kitchen clean with our iconic appliances: garbage disposals & instant hot water dispensers. Residential Use
- A HISTORY OF INNOVATION FOR THE SINK: We invented garbage disposals in 1927, & we're the world’s largest manufacturer of garbage disposals & instant hot water dispensers for home & commercial use.
Using this simple guide for choosing a new kitchen disposal unit, you should have no problem at all purchasing one that is not only affordable for you but can do the job effectively. Whether you go with the lower cost GE unit, or if you opt for the best with the InSinkErator, you will be able to eliminate food waste from your kitchen using these handy garbage disposal units. Here are other disposal units for you choose:
Keep Reading …