The InSinkErator Badger 5 is one of the top garbage disposals currently on the market. Being a member of the Badger series, this unit is pocket-friendly. The unit has been modified to include various changes and features of its old model. We’ll be reviewing the InSinkErator Badger 5 in depth.
InSinkErator Badger 5 Garbage Disposal Overview
As you know, there are different ways of getting rid of kitchen food waste. However, not all of these methods are environmentally friendly and effective. In fact, when food waste gets down the sink, it can choke the drainage system. This may result in having to spend lots of money on plumbing, plus all the trouble and inconvenience it causes.
Fortunately, the InSinkErator Badger 5 Garbage Disposal can be a solution to your waste problem. In fact, Badger 5 is known to be a functional and reliable choice, particularly when affordability is the primary consideration. This unit is designed to be rugged, powerful, and sturdy. For instance, the galvanized steel construction and induction motor make it a great performer on the market.
In addition, InSinkErator is the most renowned and oldest brand currently on the market. Other than being the oldest manufacturer of garbage disposals, all its products are made in the US. Regarding the history of the brand, InSinkErator has more insights when it comes to disposing of waste than other companies out there.
In addition, their many years of service have given them an understanding of the needs and requests of homeowners. This makes them a company you can trust. For instance, their Badger 5 provides kitchens with a durable disposal unit that is affordable.
InSinkErator Badger 5 Garbage Disposal Specs
- A 1/2 HP Garbage Disposal With Affordable Price and Reliable Performance
- Feed Type: Continuous Feed
- Horsepower: 1/2 HP 1725 RPM
- Motor System: Dura-Drive Induction Motor
- Material: Galvanized Steel
- Mount System: EZ Mount
- Splash Guard: Removable
- Installation: Pre-installed Power Cord
- Weight: 13.7 pounds
- Dimension: 6.31 x 6.31 x 11.5 inches
- Warranty: 2 Years With In-Home Service
- RELIABLE & EASY INSTALL: Badger Series disposers are a reliable & functional choice when affordability is the prime concern, and features a compact, space-saving design that fits existing InSinkErator hardware for a quick and easy install.
- DURABLE COMPONENTS: This garbage disposal features our exclusive 1/2 hp Dura-Drive Induction Motor and long lasting galvanized steel components to ensure a dependable grind for everyday food scraps.
- AMERICA'S #1 DISPOSER BRAND: There are more American-built InSinkErator garbage disposals in US homes than all other brands combined. A full line of models means there's one right for every need and budget.
- FASTER, CLEANER, SMARTER: From meal prep to cleanup, InSinkErator helps make it fast & easy to keep your kitchen clean with our iconic appliances: garbage disposals & instant hot water dispensers.
- A HISTORY OF INNOVATION FOR THE SINK: We invented garbage disposals in 1927, & we're the world’s largest manufacturer of garbage disposals & instant hot water dispensers for home & commercial use.
- Voltage: 120 V
InSinkErator Badger 5 Garbage Disposal Features
The good thing about this garbage disposal is that it can properly dispose of the food wastes. Well, that is its job, but in this case, it does it soundly well. You can agree that the performance of this unit is proven and tested.
This garbage disposer is powered by ½ HP induction motor. Although this is not what you can expect from a powerful motor, this unit is designed for small households that want a reliable and affordable unit. Considering its power, this unit is suitable for a family of four people. The grinder delivers a speed of 1725 rpm, which is still not the fastest but adequate to turn food wastes into pulp.
Well, you may be disappointed in this case as this unit does not have noise insulation. It is a bit noisy as compared to the Evolution series models. Somehow, you can justify a lack of noise insulation.
Remember that this is a budget garbage disposal, so there is no need to add noise-reducing sink mounts or insulation layers. Even then, the unit uses an induction motor, which is considered to be less noisy as compared to the permanent magnet motor that is common with most disposal units.
You should note that most of the noise generated is because of vibrations as a result of loose-fitting. Therefore, you can reduce the noise by minimizing the vibrations. It is advisable to use a flexible hose for the outlet drain and reduce noise to a given extent.
InSinkErator Grind Technology
The InSinkErator Badger 5 Garbage Disposal is designed to get rid of food waste by liquefying it. So, what makes it so effective and powerful? You should note that this unit relies on GrindShear Ring grind technology to grind even the hardest foods you can think of.
In fact, nearly all food wastes in your kitchen can be liquefied with this technology to ensure it flows safely to your sewage system. Thus, you will not be experiencing blockages at all.
The superior grind technology is what makes this disposal one of the best currently on the market. For instance, ½ HP output makes it a powerful and suitable for small households.
Easy to Install
It is well-known that InSinkErator food disposals are easy to install. Fortunately, that is also the case with the Badger 5 waste disposal system. One of the reasons you will find it easy to install is it’s Quick Mount system made of stainless steel.
In fact, removing this waste disposer is fast and easy as possible, as you only need to twist the disposer off. Having a new one in place is easier, as you just need to twist your disposer on.
Your garbage disposal will come with the mounting system, jam-buster wrench, tailpipe gasket, tailpipe, and stopper. With all these, you do not require any tools to install your garbage disposal.
This garbage disposal, like others, is mounted under the sink. Therefore, if you have a deep sink, you may not have adequate space to install this unit. Well, this is a problem that occurs with most garbage disposer units. If you are in such a situation, you should get a compact garbage disposal.
Literally, this unit measures 32 cm in height and 16 cm in width. That is like a small cylindrical bucket. Well, the average base cabinet measures 36 inches in height and 25 inches wide. That means you will still have a lot of room left after installing your Badger 5. As noted before, this is one of the most compact disposal units you will ever find.
You should note that the two major types of disposals are batch feed and continuous feed. The Badger 5 is a continuous feed unit. Although the continuous feed is simpler to use and most popular, it is prone to accidents. Therefore, things can fall apart if you are not careful.
InSinkErator Badger 5 Garbage Disposal Review
InSinkErator Badger 5 Overall Score: 7.8
- Great for most food scraps
- Galvanized steel grind system
- Easy to install
- Compatible with septic or sewer systems
- Great power output
Watch out for
- Average quietness
- Not for tougher food scraps
InSinkErator Badger 5 Vs. Other Models
#1. Badger 1 Vs. Badger 5 Garbage Disposal
Badger 1 and Badger 5 disposals by InSinkErator are quite similar except for a few things. You can easily get confused about which one you should purchase when you look through their specifications and features.
You should note that these two garbage disposals are of the same design, same build, and same color combination. Moreover, they have a chamber capacity of 26oz. In addition, they have stainless steel swivel lugs and steel grinding elements. They both run in induction motors and have an RPM of 1725. Also, they both provide a continuous feed of operation. Since they are budget disposals, they do not have high-end insulations, but they are quite fine.
All these machines use one stage grinding technology. In this case, they have a grind shear ring that helps liquefy foods so that they can pass through pipes. This makes both disposals environmentally friendly.
The most evident difference between Badger 1 and Badger 5 is the motor. Badger 5 runs on ½ HP motor, whereas Badger 1 runs on 1/3 HP motor. Therefore, the former is about 50% more powerful as compared to the other. Moreover, in terms of dimensions, although they both have a chamber capacity of 26, you will find Badger 5 to be a bit bigger because of the slightly bigger motor. This also makes it heavier.
Another difference between these two is that Badger 5 comes with a 2-year warranty whereas Badger 1 comes with a 1-year warranty.
#2. Badger 5 Vs. Badger 500 Garbage Disposal
Both Badger 500 and Badger 5 are widely used disposal units because of their grinding power that liquefies even the hardest food scraps. The common feature, in this case, is the ½ HP. All these are continuous-feed models, and they weigh about 13 pounds and are all powered by the induction motor. They require 120 volts and run at the same speed to grind tough food scraps, such as bones and coffee beans.
InSinkErator Badger 500 and Badger 5 both come with a 2-year warranty. When you will find both units easy to install.
The major difference between Badger 500 and Badger 5 is the price. You will find the Badger 500 to be slightly pricier as compared to Badger 5. In addition, the Badger 5 requires users to buy the cord power separately, whereas the Badger 500 uses direct current.
How to Install Insinkerator Badger 5?
Having an Insinkerator Badger 5 is advantageous since it has a powerful horsepower that will eliminate your food wastes from your sinks within a short time. Below are the steps of installing your Insinkerator Badger 5:
1. Disconnect the power at the circuit breaker or fuse box as well as the drain trap from your waste discharge tube.
2. Remove the old plumber putty from your sink using a putty knife. Next, apply a 0.5-inch thick rope of your plumber’s putty around your sink. If you place a weight including your Insinkerator Badger 5 garbage disposal on top of your sink flange, it helps to hold the sink flange in position while mounting it.
3. From underneath the sink, slide your fiber gasket, the backup flange, and the mounting flange on the sink flange and hold the pieces in place
4. Next, slip on your snap ring and mounting ring, and then tighten the mounting screws. Ensure everything is tightly sealed against the bottom of your sink.
5. If you are using a dishwasher, you will be required to tap out your dishwasher plug. Lay your Insinkerator Badger 5 garbage disposal with its side and then use a hammer and screwdriver to tap it out. Remove the knockout plug from the garbage disposal.
6. If your Insinkerator Badger 5 garbage disposal unit has a factory-installed cord, plug it into your outlet beneath your sink after you are done with the above steps. For a hardwired unit, remove the cover plate and pull out the wires and do the connection.
7. Hang your Insinkerator Badger 5 garbage disposal by aligning the mounting tabs on the mounting ring. Hold your disposal in place and then turn the mounting ring until all tabs are locked.
8. Insert your discharge tube into its discharge coupler and then slide its clamp over this discharge tube. Finally, position it in your groove on the tailpipe coupler.
9. Rotate your Insinkerator Badger 5 garbage disposal to align the discharge tube with the drain trap.
10. After everything is installed, lock your Insinkerator Badger 5 disposal to its sinking mount assembly with the wrench. The last step is to check for any leaks in the dishwasher, sink flange, mounting assembly connections, and tailpipe. Run the unit to test the operation.
The InSinkErator Badger 5 provides much-needed features of a standard disposal system. In fact, you will find it to be powerful and capable of handling different food wastes. Moreover, you will find it to be reliable and durable.
You will find this unit to be more than a practical convenience in your kitchen. Using this disposal will help reduce greenhouse emissions.