You can purchase garbage disposal switches from a number of online stores and should be able to find these parts in specialized stores in your area. Make sure you know that the model of your garbage disposal is before shopping for a replacement switch. Here are a few things you need to know about switches, shopping for these parts and replacing them.
- 1 When Do You Need To Buy A New Garbage Disposal Switch?
- 2 What Are The Benefits Of Changing The Garbage Disposal Switch?
- 3 A Few Tips To Help You Choose The Right Switch
When Do You Need To Buy A New Garbage Disposal Switch?
The switch allows you to turn your garbage disposal on and off. Switches are used for safety reasons since you need to get your hand out of the garbage disposal in order to operate the switch. Even though automated appliances are becoming the norm, garbage disposal will always have switches for safety reasons.
There are a few situations in which you might have to buy a new switch for your garbage disposal:
– Nothing happens when you press the switch and you have already ruled out other problems with your garbage disposal.
– You need to press the switch multiple times for your garbage disposal to come on.
– You would like to upgrade the garbage disposal switch for aesthetic reasons or because the old one looks old or damaged.
– You would like to replace a wall switch with an air switch for garbage disposal or vice versa.
– You think it would be more convenient to change the location of the switch and want to replace the existing switch with a garbage disposal switch under sink.
If there is a technical problem with your garbage disposal, inspect it thoroughly to rule out other issues before replacing the switch. A worn-out or broken switch could be the reason why you cannot get your garbage disposal to come on, but you should make sure that your garbage disposal isn’t clogged first. If you are not sure where the problem is coming from, have a plumber inspect your garbage disposal to diagnose the problem.
If you would like to replace the garbage disposal switch for aesthetic or for convenience reasons, ask yourself a few questions first. Figure out the best location for the new switch and ask yourself what kind of color, finish and style would work best with your kitchen.
What Are The Benefits Of Changing The Garbage Disposal Switch?
Garbage disposal switches go through a lot of wear and tear. You probably activate this switch on a daily basis. Old switches can stop working because they become worn-out or can become difficult to activate. Replacing your garbage disposal switch now will save you some time and trouble in the future since the current switch will eventually stop working.
Replacing a garbage disposal switch can also make your kitchen safer. You might want to install the new switch in a location that cannot be reached by young children. You can opt for a newer and safer model if you have an old garbage disposal.
Replacing the switch is more affordable than replacing the entire garbage disposal. A switch that does not work properly can cause more wear and tear on the other parts of your garbage disposal, especially if you have to activate the switch multiple times to get the garbage disposal to work.
Finally, upgrading your garbage disposal switch is an affordable way to make your kitchen look better. You might for instance replace an old switch with a newer model that goes better with the style of your kitchen or place the new switch in a more discreet location for a minimalistic look.
You can replace your garbage disposal switch in this way:
A Few Tips To Help You Choose The Right Switch
Shop around to find the right garbage disposal switch. You need to know what the model of your garbage disposal is so you can look for a compatible switch and should have an idea of how you want to mount the switch.
There are a few things you should consider when choosing a new switch:
– Do you want an air switch or another type of garbage disposal switch? Air switches are a popular option since they are easy to activate and install.
– Do you want a wall switch or a button mounted on your sink? Which location would be more convenient in your kitchen?
– What kind of color and finish would look good in your kitchen?
– Do you need any additional safety features to prevent accidents? This is especially important if you have young children.
– Do you need to only replace the switch itself or do you need a kit that also includes a power cord? If you need a new power cord, how long does it need to be?
For a simple but functional switch that looks great with any kind of chrome kitchen, you should consider the InSinkErator STS-SO Single Outlet Sink Top Switch with Chrome. This switch is easy to install and looks very discreet.
If you want a wider selection for colors and finishes, you should consider the Single Outlet Sink Garbage Disposal Air Activated Switch. This switch can be installed on your skin or countertop and has a modern look.
If you would like to upgrade your kitchen, the InSinkErator STS-00 Dual Outlet SinkTop Switch is an excellent choice. This air switch features a dual outlet so you can install an additional power outlet as well as a new switch.
There are many other makes and models worth considering and you need to shop around to find the right switch for your needs. Having an idea of the features you would like to find in you new garbage disposal will make it easier to find the perfect product. You should also ask yourself where the switch will be mounted and what kind of color and finish would look good in your kitchen.
It is possible to install the new garbage disposal switch by yourself. All you have to do is mount the switch on the wall, countertop or sink and connect a few wires to the garbage disposal. However, you should hire a plumber or contractor to install the switch if you are not comfortable or if you do not have the right tools.
There is video for your installing a new switch by yourself: